The function of the Bibb County Sheriff’s Office Detention Division is To provide the Macon and Bibb County Community with both a Work Release and Community Service facility.
The Bibb County Detention Center is a Work Release and Community Service Center. The Detention Center presently has approximately 192 beds, some are assigned to the work release program while others are assigned to the community service program. The purpose of the work release program is to allow the detainees to continue to work in the private sector in order to pay off fines and restitutions ordered by the courts, it also allows them the opportunity to continue to support their families. This type of program lessens the burden of the taxpayers who would have to bear the cost of what it would be to house these individuals on a full time basis.
The spaces that are assigned to the community service section of the center are allowed for the detainees which perform various amounts of community service hours as ordered by the courts. The hours that these individuals perform are presently saving the city of Macon and Bibb County in the excess of $500,000 a year. These jobs would normally be contracted out to other businesses or individuals in the private sector.
The Detention Center is staffed by a Major, Captain, Senior Lieutenant, Junior Lieutenant, Sergeant, twenty one Deputies and four Bailiffs.
Detention Division Objectives
- To constantly strive to improve the day to day operations of the Detention Center by learning effective, new and proven methods of operating and maintaining a Detention Center of its size.
- To remain knowledgeable of existing laws pertaining to corrections and in particularly detention facilities.
To provide and maintain current equipment and safety devices relating to the protection of both officers and inmates.
- To efficiently work within all aspects of the judicial system in order to improve the flow of paperwork and communication with various local, state and federal agencies.
- To efficiently communicate and work with local, state and federal prosecutors and probation officers regarding work release and community service detainees.
- To propose and provide a secure and efficient environment for visitors and court officials while conducting business at the Detention Center.
If you have any questions regarding the Bibb County Sheriff’s Office Detention Division please call:
- (478) 621-5666