The Bibb Sheriff’s Office is alerting citizens about a phone scam where callers are phoning citizens claiming to be with the Internal Revenue Service. The person calling may demand money and tell you if you do not pay they will send local law enforcement to arrest you. The caller may know information about you through the internet and social media. If you do not answer they may leave an “urgent” callback request. They use fake names and fake IRS identification information.
Here are some tips to help you recognize these scams:
- The scammer demands immediate payment.
- Demand payment of taxes without giving you an opportunity to question the amount they say you owe.
- Ask for debit or credit card numbers over the phone.
- Demand you use a specific payment method for your taxes.
- Make threats to have you arrested by local law enforcement if you do not pay.
Keep in mind, the Internal Revenue Service has procedures in place for people with tax issues. If you receive a call from someone claiming to be from the Internal Revenue Service, asking for money, do not give them any payment information. Call the IRS office directly and follow up with them. Also contact the Bibb County Sheriff’s Office at 478-751-7500, or your local law enforcement agency to report the incident.