To help ensure the holidays are safe for you and your family, Sheriff David Davis and the Bibb County Sheriff’s Office want to share the following important safety tips:
When You’re Out Shopping For The Holidays, Stay Alert To Surroundings
- When in crowded places, be alert. Don’t overload yourself with packages. Be aware of what’s going on around you to avoid potential threats. Be wary of strangers approaching you for any reason. When possible, avoid wearing expensive jewelry and carrying large amounts of valuables. Never leave personal belongings unattended. As an added precaution, make sure you have a record of all your credit card numbers in a secure place at home in case they are ever lost or stolen.
Shop With Friends, There Is Safety In Numbers
- Always remember there is safety in numbers. Plan to shop with friends and relatives instead of going out alone. Make sure everyone remains alert and looks out for each other.
Parking Lot Safety Tips for Holiday Shoppers
- Always make sure to lock your vehicle and hide valuables, preferably in the trunk or locked compartment. If it is dark when you are out, park and walk in well-lit areas and carry keys in your hand. Stay alert to your surroundings and take a moment to look around for possible suspicious persons, vehicles, and/or situations. Prior to getting into your vehicle take a look inside and around before entering your vehicle. If anything looks suspicious or if your vehicle has been burglarized, call your local law enforcement agency.
Holiday Safety Tips for Online Shoppers
Keeping Packages Safe During The Holiday Season
- When ordering online, consider having the package delivered to your workplace or a friend or relative that is at home during the day.
- Require a signature for a package that you are sending for delivery.
- Schedule your packages for a time when you or someone will be home.
Keeping Your Home Safe During The Holidays
- Be sure to lock windows, sliders, and doors when leaving for any length of time. You should also keep all entrance points into your house secured while you’re at home as well. Set indoor and outdoor lights on timers and think about doing the same with a television or radio to make it appear as if someone is home. Never keep gifts or valuable objects in plain view from any window. Close blinds, shutters, drapes, and curtains because if a burglar can see those items they may attempt to take them from you. If you have children in the home teach them that by no means will they open the door to anyone prior to your knowledge and approval.
Let Someone You Trust Know When You Are Traveling During The Holidays
- Inform someone that you feel is trustworthy, where you will be and when you might be expected back to your residence. Ask a neighbor or other dependable persons to watch your house and retrieve your newspapers and mail if possible.
Watching The Weather Is Important For Holiday Travelers
- Before and during travel stay tuned to weather conditions. Anticipate inclement weather and plan accordingly. Carry chains, keep sufficient gas in the tank and always use extreme caution while driving. Keep an eye out for pedestrians at all times.
To report any suspicious activity or a crime contact the Bibb County Sheriff’s Office at 478-751-7500. For emergencies call 911. Have a safe and Happy Holiday Season!